Thursday, September 10, 2009

K.I.S.S.

Imagine my surprise on Monday, when, as I sat ~two miles from home, taking a break and enjoying the scenery, I glanced at the B-52 and this caught my eye:

One, two, three chainring bolts, and a hole where the fourth should be...

Now, I wasn't terribly surprised, as I had romped on the bike pretty hard that day, and my reaction was "...Huh. How 'bout that?" followed by "How long has that been missing?" So I shifted to the granny ring and (slowly) finished the ride home.

Now, I'm a big fan of keeping things simple. Naturally, a single speed fixed gear is the ultimate in simplicity, but I don't have one to hit the trails with yet. (Even though I do it with Bi...) So, after thinking about it, and reading up on it. I decided that, instead of simply replacing the missing chainring bolt, I'd remove the big ring, little ring, front derailer, front shifter, and make the B-52 a 1x9. One ring up front, 9 gears in the back. So I did. Then I took it out on a test ride.

I hope I don't get rained on... or struck by lightning... or both...

I think the better rides are the ones when people ask you "So, where'd you go?" and you just laugh and say, "I have no clue!" That's where I went today. I picked up a dirtbike trail by the airport, and wound up on Lake Mary road several miles later, with thunder rumbling overhead. I may need to re-visit the trail, either on the mountain bike or the KLR.

Oh, and the 1x9 setup rocks. Test ride success on all fronts.
Mileage: 14.8

No comments: