Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Traffic Jam.

I've long accepted the fact that as a cyclist, I share the road with cars. I do my best to follow laws that I know of, and do my best to be courteous to the drivers of the road. In short, I generally ride my bike on the roads the same way I would ride on of my motorcycles, with obvious exceptions.

I only wish that other drivers would respond in kind.

What annoys me are the drivers that break the rules of legal driving to pass me, harass me, and so on. As an example, cars that try to squeeze past me at an intersection when I'm stopped (Either at a stop sign or a stoplight) in the center of the lane. I'm acting like a vehicle, can't they treat me as such? Especially since even if they can make it past me, they still have to wait for the cars in front of me, or the traffic control device. They're only a whole five feet closer to their destination! With the time they just saved, they now have time to swing by the coffee shop for a danish, and pick up the dry cleaning too! *facepalm*

Another example, is the guy today who slowed down next to me to yell at me for being in the road and not on the sidewalk "where I belong." He had to slow down to yell at me, as well as because of my position in the lane, he was half in the on-coming traffic lane. After I told him that fish like waffles with ketchup, (odd responses tend to completely disarm people in these situations) he sped off. Wouldn't you know it, I caught up to him at the next intersection, and had the opportunity to ask him why he felt the need to slow down and yell at me if he was in such a hurry to pass me.

The other annoying thing is people who break the law to be courteous to me. It is hard to be angry at these people, because they're just trying to be nice. But what they don't realize, is that they are not only putting themselves in danger, but myself as well. I'm sure I've made several drivers angry by not accepting the courtesy they offer because it's just not worth the risk.

Of course, in both cases, these are the minority. More than 90% of the drivers I deal with every day are at least grudgingly respectful of a cyclists rights on the road. And for them I am ever thankful.

In other news, there is a new mountain bike frame on its way to me. I am happy.

Mileage: 11.7

No comments: