Saturday, February 21, 2009

PSSSHHHHHhhhh.....

So, originally, this post was going to start a different way, but last night, while I was getting ready for bed, brushing my teeth, I hear a quite loud hiss of air escaping a confined space from inside my closet... where I park my bikes. It turned out to be Bi's front tire deflating. Bi had been parked in the closet for a good 12 hours, meaning 12 hours since I had ridden it. Ahh, spontaneous deflation, something that I've been reading a lot of on Bikeforums. It happens for a lot of reasons, though in this case, it turned out to be a small tear forming from the tube rubbing against the rim tape at a spoke hole. Note to self: get better rim strips. I patched it up this morning, and it appears to be holding air fine.

In other news, meet Henry.

"I'm Henry!"

Henry's my latest ride, and is the mash-together of two different bikes and only two truly new components. Exegete's old Trek 820 frame and wheels, Spork's (my road bike) drivetrain, handlebars, and shifters, and a new Surly 1x1 fork. Basically it's my versatile road/trail bike that I've wanted to build. It will eventually have full fenders, front and rear racks, less agressive tires, and will be used as my distance riding and cargo bike.

I took it for it's first ride around town yesterday, and it is a surprisingly nimble bike on pavement. At slow speeds it's twitchy and responsive, and at higher speeds, it's nice and stable through turns. It's fun! I'll try it's dirt handling sometime soon, when it's not all muddy.
Mileage: 13 (Yesterday's mileage)

No comments: