Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ponds and fixed gears.


So.. the forecast all last week called for snow all of this weekend, from last Wednesday up to today. Well... that didn't happen, so I decided today was a good day for a ride. Yes, it was muddy on the trails, but at 55 degrees it wasn't that bad at all. in fact, it was nice and relaxing. But I'm sad... I wanted snow. But, in my latest exploration of Flagstaff...

And then, while I was riding around, I noticed I was having a harder time than I anticipated maneuvering around stuff on the trail. I realized I've gotten too used to my fixed gear bike (Named Bi.) that I ride back and forth to work on. In short, you get a single gear, and if you aren't pedaling, you aren't going anywhere. Because of the nature of it, you can't coast, but because you can use your legs to regulate your speed, I've found it's a lot easier to position the bike exactly where you want it. So, I think one of my next projects will be to build a fixed gear wheel to put on my mountain bike as an experiment. Offroad fixies have been done, but they're rare.

Yes, it was an eventful ride. I swung by Absolute Bikes on the way home for bar ends and brake cables, since the mountain bike needs both. (Bleh stiff brakes.) They jokingly mentioned that it's been quite some time since I've been in there to replace parts from a crash, then wished me a safe ride home as I left, saying they'd feel bad if I ate it on the way home. I'm contemplating calling to let them know I made it fine.

Mileage: 18.1

No comments: