Thursday, March 17, 2011

Jump Jets and Dumpster Bikes...

The title to this post is best read to the tune of Cake's Stick Shifts and Safety Belts.

It's getting warmer here. The snake I saw on the urban trail said so. The fact that I'm starting to see colors to the east on my way to work also tells me that Spring is on the way. Which means the trails are slowly drying out. The FUTS out to Fort Tuthill is pretty much dry, so I've been riding out that way after work.

One of the perks of that particular trail is that it goes by the Flagstaff International Airport, Hair Care, and Tire Center. This is a perk for two reasons. First is the smell from the Joy Cone plant that always seems to be upwind when I ride by. Second, every now and then, you see something cool at the airport, either landing, taking off, or parked on the tarmac.

Like today, when I was riding in front of the terminal, and heard a very loud roar from the downwind end of the runway.


I saw them flying the holding pattern around the airport, and was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time when the Harriers landed. A minute later, this guy followed them in.

So, I feel pretty good, as I usually do when I see some cool thing on a ride, truck on home, and as I ride by the dumpsters at the back of the apartment complex, I spied some familiar shapes.

Three very weathered bikes parked around the dumpsters.

Curious, I stopped, and checked them out.
Can I keep it? Huh? Huh? Can I? Huh?

It needs a lot of love, but it's that lugged steel bike that I've been on the hunt for, even if it is a little big for me. Let's see what I can make of it.

Mileage: 11.4

1 comment:

D*H said...

I totally forgot to comment on your other post too. I even read it and bookmarked it, but -- forsooth! -- I am a shitass and forget things easily.

That's nice that finally you'll have a bit more solid group to ride around on instead of muddy yuck-ness. And I'm surprised you could get shots of aircraft from that close!