Sunday, January 1, 2012

Friday Night Bike Night: Flagstaff! (Friday, December 30)

Yes, I'm making two posts in one day, because one is very late, that being this one.

So Thursday night, TC tells me to go ride to someplace cool on Friday. It being the last Friday of the year, we should have a Friday Night Bike Night, even though we're not in the same place now. She would do a ride of her own in Queen Creek. Sounded like a good idea to me.

So I spent Friday at work thinking of where to go, and remembered a spot off of Lake Mary Road that I found in Google Earth. I managed to take off from work a little early and rode fairly fast out there, since I wanted to get there with enough light to see and take pictures. Also, because I knew I would be walking one I left the pavement for all the mud and snow out there.

Ride!

So, I found the turn off, just north of the Lower Lake Mary dam. I stashed Bi a ways off the road, locked to a pretty substantial tree, and started walking. It was a lot of cross country, the dirt road leading where I wanted to go alternated between ankle deep mud, water, and ice.

But it wasn't a long hike.



Old footings for a railroad bridge near Lake Mary. And not a small bridge at that. The big tower is about 30 feet tall, and the span is probably over 100 feet. I've been looking for more information on it, but haven't found anything yet. The area around Flagstaff has a lot of abandoned railroad right of ways, most of them belonging to the old lumber mill, so it's a good chance that that's what this is.

I want to go back in the spring when it's dry, and explore a little more when the snow isn't knee deep.
One a railroad, now a dirt road.

Bi, waiting patiently for me to come back.

Sunset on the peaks.

The ride home was a bit slower, and cooler, but it was nice watching the light fade. It was a good ride, I think.

Mileage: 17.4 (For Friday)

No comments: