Sunday, October 23, 2011

Yo dawg, so we heard you like bikes...

You have a little bit to figure out where this is going.

So I took a little trip through the Rim Country this weekend, and landed in Queen Creek to visit family, and meet new family!
Missy!

Zoe!

New Mikayla puppy!

It was a fun weekend. I played with puppies, went to Schnepf Farms for the pumpkin festival there, where I got a little heatstroke or something... Slept that off, played with puppies some more, then came home.

There was a little bike riding... I did go down on Friday, after all. after I assembled Oscar, TC and I had a short Friday night Bike Night ride, the first one since she and Alex moved to Queen Creek.

Wait, who's Oscar?

Well, remember the Dumpster Bike?

It went from this:To this:
It's old, it's ginormous, and it makes funny noises, but it's a solid, smooth riding bike, and it cleans up nicely. I brought it down to my sister's place to leave there, so that when I visit, I don't have to cart a bike back and forth.

Getting it down here was an adventure in itself. Besides re-building Oscar, I've been tinkering with Slide:
"If you build it, they will gawk."

I am not the first person to do this... I looked up many designs, and talked to a few people before building something that was feasible and worked best for my application. As it is, it needs a little work, but it worked well enough to take Oscar 180 miles to Phoenix, with no trouble what so ever.

The responses I noticed from people who saw it were awesome. The best was from a French fellow who came up when I stopped. He barely spoke any english, but asked to take a picture of it, to which I said "Of Course!" His thoughts on the setup? "Motorcycle..." *Points* "...bicycle..." *points* "...very cool!" *thumbs up* I wish I knew more French, so I could have talked with him.

Of course, I have to work tomorrow, so I had to come home today. I came back the same way I went down, through Payson on highway 87. I think I'm taking that route down from now on, as it is gorgeous. Lovely forests all the way from the house down Lake Mary Road to Clint's Well, then the drop off the Mogollon Rim through Payson into the rocky desert mountains of southern Arizona. It was a great ride, one that I was looking forward to playing on without a bike on the back of the bike.

'Twas fun.
Mileage: ~180 on Slide.

No comments: