Friday, February 11, 2011

Define: Adventure.

Adventure: Taking inappropriate equipment to out of the way places.

So, I woke up with a dull ache behind my right eye today, which is the herald of a migraine. Getting outside and doing something physical usually keeps the migraine monster at bay, so I packed up STeve and took off on what I had loosely planned on being a road ride "out 89 a ways."

I have a problem with plans.

About the time I was riding through the neighborhood where I grew up (Which is not exactly close to Highway 89) I detoured off the pavement onto a trail around Cave Hill, and followed that for about 3 miles, then some fire roads until I got back on 89 several miles later.

Flood control measures to try to manage runoff from the Schultz Fire burn area on the Peaks. What's hard to tell from the picture is that the channel is coated in ash from the fire that has been washed downstream.

Well... STeve is technically a crossbike. Tame singletrack is well within his capabilities.

But I brought the wrong bike for soft cinders.

By the time I got home, I still had that dull ache behind my right eye, but it had faded out and back in, having been forgotten for the majority of the ride. It will be gone soon. Add to that that, for my first long ride of the year, I feel pretty good about it. I'm not sore, my arms and back didn't hurt at any point, I kept good speed on most of the hills I encountered, and my legs have that happy post-ride twitchy thing going on.

Good stuff.

Mileage: 52.8

2 comments:

D*H said...

Ooh, I wish I had the sort of weather snap you guys are having right now. That looks absolutely beautiful down there!! Congrats on the first 2011-long-bikeride + the leg twitches, LOL.

Polar bear said...

I'm trying to enjoy as much of this nice weather as I can. It's supposed to be snowing by the end of the week!