Thursday, February 16, 2012

Winter Weather: Let's Build Bikes!

It seems our mild winter is getting a bit more active, at least for a few days. If I were to compare Flagstaff's current winter intensity to the rating system used for salsa, (Pace Picante, in this case) in the past week, we have gone from "Raw Tomato" to "Mild." Honestly, that's not saying a whole lot. The temperature dropped, and there's snow on the ground again, that's about it.

Seriously... it's been so warm that I've been seriously considering taking Tri for a mountain ride on Mt. Elden. I'd heard rumors that Rocky Ridge was nearly dry, and fully passable.

But, in true Flagstaff fashion, the weather changed.
The heralding of the first storm over the peaks, during an after work ride home last week.

Fast forward to... Tuesday, I think. (Work's been blurring my days together.)
Three to five inches of snow is the perfect depth to ride through. Deep enough to make it fun and pack in cool ways around the bike, not so deep that you're plowing through it.

It's not a whole lot of snow, but I'll take it. I've gotten a lot more riding in than usual for this time of year, in the form of after work rides. I've got a great loop that I've been taking, with how dry it is. Out Route 66 to the Naval Observatory entrance, then to Woody Mountain Road, and on to Purple Sage Trail, which takes me to Fort Tuthill. From there, it's ride past the airport, then homeward on High Country and the FUTS. Probably about 16 miles, round trip, with not much traffic, and a fair amount of time in the woods away from town, which is relaxing.

But, with more snow, that route will be under a healthy layer of mud. We'll see if I attempt it before it dries out, or if I find some other after work route.

But, for now, I've got things at home to keep me occupied. The on-going construction project that is the Austro-Daimler, and Exe's new bike, the Ogre. No pictures of it yet, as it's his bike, and if he wants build pics, he has to take them. He'd better hurry, as it's almost half done... I'm sure he'll make a post about it at some point, though. I also have a new frame to move Tri over to, a result of the Ogre build. Figure in running maintenance, and there's lots of bike work to be done. And yet, here I am, blogging... mostly to show off this pic.

Today, on the way back from the Airport after work with Exe and Su.

Freak out and throw stuff.
Mileage: 10 or so.

2 comments:

D*H said...

The photos of the clouds rolling in over the mountains is breathtaking. If you ever remember to keep the bigger versions for your 1st and 4th picture in this post, I would totally love to use them as desktop backgrounds, if that's okay.

Polar bear said...

I try to keep an archive of my pictures, so no problem!