Friday, February 17, 2012

New stuff!

It has been quite a while since I posted, but there is enough exciting bike stuff going on that it warranted a post!

First up, the Pugsley got new shoes!

In case you were wondering, that is a Surly Larry up front and an Endomorph on the rear.   And a dash of puppy cuteness; don't judge me. 

Secondly, my road-ish mountain bike, Crash the Karate Monkey, is getting an overhaul!  Polar Bear posted about the bike building already, but I'm posting more. Crash is getting a Surly Ogre frame, full fenders, and a Surly Nice Rack. In addition, he is getting an internally geared hub.

Yup, Shimano Alfine. Should keep the drive train simple for winter, but flexible enough to not die on a 25 mile day.

I sound like a bleedy advertisement for Surly, so here is a little down-side.  In working on both bikes, I've found that the rear hubs (both Surly single speed jobbers) have toasted bearings.  Not the worst thing in the world, since they are serviceable, but a bit of a downer.  Will need to replace the Pugsley's, along with its cog, since that is dead, too. 

Will post completion pictures of the Ogre, so stay tuned. =-]

No comments: