Thursday, September 16, 2010

Le Tour de Lake?

I do enjoy riding out Lake Mary-ward. Usually Northern Arizona is fairly dry, and any water, streams or otherwise near town is pretty seasonal. A trip to a lake or other body of water is a nice change of pace, a treat.

The downside is people. Specifically, what they leave behind, or en-route.

I've never seen so much broken glass on the side of the road as I have today, and it really makes me wonder why. Along with the shattered bottles on the shoulder was the rest of the garbage littering the ditches. It takes away from the view, as well as adds to the flat potential. Fortunately I didn't get any flats; Excuse me while I knock on wood.

I did have an idea as I was riding home, though. One common complaint from motorists is that cyclists don't pay any sort of road tax, yet claim the same rights as a car. (I take issue with this for a few reasons, which I won't go into right now.) But maybe one way to give back in a visible way, to show cyclists care about taking care of the road, might be to organize a group of people, anyone with an Xtracycle, bike trailer, or any bike that can carry a decent load, and collect trash off a mile or two of road, hauling it away on bikes.

I know it wouldn't work the way I see it in my head, and besides, I'm sure it's been done before.

AAaaannnyways.

So, I took off out towards Lake Mary. Made it to the far end in pretty good time, and decided I'd go to Ashurst Lake, up on Andersen Mesa. I've never been to Ashurst Lake, up on Andersen Mesa, so why not?

The road to Ashurst Lake, framed with pretty yellow flowers.


One of the many little lakes of Andersen Mesa.


Annnd, Ashurst Lake.



After that, I tried to circle Mormon Lake, but smoke from the Weir Fire to the south was drifting across. I didn't feel like choking on the smoke, so I turned around.

Good ride.

Mileage: 59.4

No comments: