Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools Day

So, it's the first day of April, the one commonly associated with people making fools of themselves in an effort to make fools of others... or something. Unfortunately, I thought of my prank too late in the day to put it into effect, which was to post on Facetube: "Fifteen screws, three rods, and the doctors say it'll heal up in a few weeks." Maybe next year.

Besides, I figure there's enough fooling around going on that April Fool's Day didn't need my input, and I didn't want to jinx myself, and end up having to go back after the fact after having peeled myself off the front of a bus and say "No, seriously."

So, instead, I decided to celebrate my April Fool's Day by picking up a new bike from Absolute, who, fortunately was not joking when they told me I had a bike waiting for me:

The Swobo Crosby, the latest addition to my family of bikes. Rather than figure out some way to ride my bike to the shop to pick up another bike, and get them both home somehow, I decided to just walk the 4 miles, and then ride home. Along the way, I was buzzed 5 times by people riding their bikes on the sidewalks, not one of them having a bell. It was a good reminder to me of one of the reasons I don't ride my bike on the sidewalk anymore. After getting the bike all fitted to me, and buying a bell, I left on my getting acquainted ride, which took me out to the mall and back through downtown to home. After turning around at the mall, I felt like I was racing the building storms home.

All in all, I really like the bike, and I think I made a good choice. It's not the Crosscheck I'd been dreaming of for the past several months, but I think it's something a little bit better suited to my style. That, and I think the bright orange rims mixing with the stormcloud blue frame is starting to grow on me.

Now it needs a name.


Wednesday morning's ride to work treated me with a sunrise. Just a few weeks ago I was still seeing stars on my way in.


Mileage: 18 or so, plus 4 walked.

No comments: