Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Night Riding

So... I'll start off by saying that I hate people.

There is an intersection on Butler Ave. that has a bike/pedestrian tunnel running underneath it. I love that thing, because the sidewalk drops down to the tunnel, and you can get a fair amount of speed to get some good lean as you turn into the tunnel. It is a blind turn but there's hardly ever anyone there.

You think you know where this is going, don't you? Keep reading.

So, imagine my surprise when I come blazing around the corner, and see a man standing with his back to me, but his head turned looking over his shoulder, relieving himself on the wall at the entrance of the tunnel. Yeah. What, he couldn't hold it long enough to get to the McDonald's across the street, or the Taco Bell just up the street, or the string of gas stations and other restaurants just up the other direction? In the two seconds it took me to blaze past him, I pondered several things to do and say, but settled for a simple "Get a room!"

But that's not the main subject of this post tonight.

Riding home tonight, I decided to take a longer, indirect route home. Well, it's a route TC and I take often, but I've never done it at 9:30 at night. I rode up and around McMillian Mesa, where the trail gives a great overlook of East Flagstaff in several places. It was really relaxing to be able to just cruise along, and look over the city. At one point, I stopped at a spot with some benches and just sat looking out, enjoying the view, something I don't do very often, or for very long when I'm alone.

McMillian Mesa puts you high enough to see to the city limits above the trees and hills, but not so high or distant so that the city lights look like golden glitter on a black cloth. From there you can still make out the different colors of the lights, the signs, and even see the ground lit up in some places. As well as up there, you can't hear the noises from the city, just the breeze. It was just nice to sit and look out and enjoy the view.

Unfortunately, my camera doesn't take good night pictures, otherwise I'd share the picture.

Mileage: 19.5

No comments: