Saturday, December 27, 2008

Bi's Electrical System

So, I had the urge to build stuff tonight, and I decided that I would wire in my Planet Bike Super Blinky tail light into the battery pack I built for my headlights, since the batteries in the blinky died last night. Then, while I was at it, I thought: "Hey, I like things to be symmetrical, why not do two?"

Two Super blinkies, wired together, with the power wire running along the rack brace to the battery pack. Both lights are independantly switched, since I soldered the wires straight to the battery contacts on each.

The headlights, which are two Dorcy K2 120 lumen LED flashlights. Originally they ran on three AAA batteries each. Wired in a similar setup to the blinkies, they are also independantly switched. The power line runs along the top tube to the battery pack.


The battery pack, consisting of three "C" cell batteries. Two batteries power the tail lights, while all three power the headlights, via two separate output leads. The bag is just temporary until I make a better case.

Future plans for this system are a better more weather proof battery case, and possibly doubling the battery count, but pairing the batteries in series, so I still have my 3 and 4.5 volt outputs. With all this so far, I have enough lighting to rival a 747's landing lights. We'll see how long the batteries last now.

Mileage: 0

No comments: