Thursday, August 7, 2008


So I've had a big problem with bending rear wheels on my bicycle.  So last night, I had an epiphany.  With a little help from Kev, I rigged up a way to true the wheel that is pretty damn accurate.  I got my wheel down to 0.01 inches of variance.  Total cost so far was about $40.  I'll post the actual dollar amount once I finish version 2, which we'll get to in a minute.
Flaws in version 1 were pretty minimal.  First and foremost is that the blasted thing is too accurate.  The needle on the dial moves way too much for my liking, so I keep refining and refining until it is so close to perfect.  Then I remember that a tenth of an inch is a full rotation on the dial, so that little swing it has is nothing by comparison.  The other flaw is more of a design flaw, in that there isn't really a way to tell if the hoop is off-center of the hub.  The idea I have to further the design is to attach an L shaped piece of aluminum (wrapped in duck tape so it won't mar up the frame), that will hopefully let me mark out a uniform place on the chain-stays to mount the clamp.  Once I have this uniform mark, I should be able to tell how far off to one side or the other the wheel is.
While this rig sounds somewhat inaccurate, I think it will serve its purpose.  Save me money and trips to the bike shop.  I may even invest in a cheap front fork and make it into a work-bench type solution, but we'll see on that one.
Mileage:  0

No comments: