Sunday, May 30, 2010

It was supposed to be an easy ride...

I decided earlier today to say "Damn the sickness, I'm going for a ride!" and so I did.

This is the part where you expect me to say "Yeah, that wasn't a good idea."

I ended up riding over 50 miles through town, through Doney Park, and up Highway 89 north of town towards Sunset Crater. And when all was said and done, I felt pretty good. All the riding certainly didn't help my cough, pretty much the last worst remnant of the cold, but it didn't make it any worse, either. At the end of the ride, while I was tired, and glad to be home, I wasn't sore. I made sure to stand up at regular intervals, and made it a point to put less weight on my arms, and bend my elbows often to keep them loose. All this went a long way towards keeping the last 10 miles of the ride enjoyable, not a pain-filled struggle to get home and get off the bike. Things to keep in mind while on the bike.

The view of the peaks I grew up with.

And Mt. Elden.

From the top of the pass on 89, looking back towards Timberline.

And break time at the turn around point on Sunset Crater Road.

And now I enjoy a strawberry cheesecake blizzard. Woo!
Mileage: 51.4

No comments: